Saturday 8 October 2011

Claire Wallhead - The Interview


So after a bit of break due to family circumstances im back again this time with a interview from Claire Wallhead who is Nottingham Forest ladies Goalkeeper & Sheffield Wednesday Season ticket holder.


Firstly i would like to to take the time to thank Claire for her time to answer these questions  it is much appreciated 


So then Claire how did you end up supporting the famous blue and white wizards ?

I had a phase of supporting all the big teams of the time when I was in Primary School like everybody does, but I think it was my friends that made me stick with Wednesday.  I remember one of the older girls in my school supporting Wednesday and she was a good footballer, so I think that kind of swung it too.

What are your earliest memories of watching wednesday & Can you remember your first game if so what was it  ?

My first Wednesday game, I think I was about 6 or 7.  I'm not entirely sure but I think we played Chelsea.  I went with one of my mums friends who was a season ticket holder in the kop.  She bought me T-shirt from the shop and I dont think I ever had it off.  I can't remember the score but I'm sure we won.   


Who are your favorite owls players in the past & Present  and why ?

My first ever favourite player was Mark Bright.  There have been a few through the seasons, but I think Benito Carbone sticks out the most and of course the legend that is Kevin Pressman.  In the current squad, I think Ben Marshall has been a real asset and bought some quality to the team.  I also think Richard O'Donnell has been doing well in Weavers absence.


                                  Benito Carbone 

What in your opinion is the best owls goal you have ever seen ?
Thats a tough one.. I went to the Leicester away game when we won 4-1, with Whelan and Brunt scoring brilliant goals, but the one that sticks out is Tommy Spurr's volley from just outside the area against Plymouth a few seasons ago.


Wednesday have been very active in bringing players in this season in a few positions  which few for you have been the better signings and why ?
I think Semedo and Rob Jones are the big ones for me.  I was really impressed with Jones at the end of last season and was really pleased when we signed him.  Ben Marshall has been a great signing just because of the quality he has brought to the team, hopefully we can keep him until the end of the season. 

What is your best memory in your lifetime watching the owls   ? 

Thats got to be the play off final.  I remember everything about the day and the game.  I remember getting off the bus and walking to the ground and the streets just been full of Wednesdayites with all the singing and hooters, its giving me goosebumps just thinking about it.  I think I went through every emotion that day, and I've never shouted so much.  I remember going to training that week and not being able to talk!


Also could you give me a prediction on where you think we will finish this season and who will finish top goal scorer for us and with how many ?

Well now we've started picking up some good results on the road, I'm feeling more positive about the season.  I'd love to say we'll win the league, but realistically I think we'll make the play offs playing Huddersfield in the final.  Madine's on fire at the minute, so I'll go for him as top scorer with 18

Now we know about Wednesday Claire how about a insight into Nottingham forest ladies goalkeeper claire


How long have you been playing football  and how did you end up at Forest ?

I've been playing football since I was at primary school.  My first club was Chesterfield where I started in the under 10's, and I did go as a midfielder.  But they didn't have a keeper so I volunteered and never looked back.  I remember loosing our first game about 9-0 but I got man of the match.  I played with Chesterfield all through Juniors and the Centre of Excellence which lead to me playing for England under 17's.   I also played for Doncaster Belles Under 16's for a season. From Chesterfield, I had a few season with Leeds United and then moved to Wednesday in 2002.  I signed for Forest in 2008 after they had just won promotion into the Premier League.  We played them in the last game of the 2007 - 08 season and they had to beat us to get promoted. I think they ended up winning about 5-1, but I remember playing well that game so I must have done something right.

Which Goalkeepers have inspired you to get you where today and do you keep a closer eye on our goalkeepers at games for tips ?
I think my main influence was Leanne Hall (who is also a Wednesday fan) who was the manager of Donny Belles under 16's.  She was also Donny Belles first team keeper and second choice England keeper.  She was a massive role model for me, and we ended up going to Leeds together.  Been able to training with an England international at 16 was just brilliant, and had a massive impact on me as a player.  We still train together, and I know I can ask her for advice anytime which is great.  I love watching our keepers warm ups and the opposition keepers warm up.  I've always got my eyes open for tips and different things to try. 


          Claire in action for Nottingham Forest 

Where do you think you will finish in the league this season ?

After finishing league and cup runners up last season, we haven't had a great start to this season, with a lot of movement with players coming in and out.  But we picked up a great result on Sunday so hopefully we can build some momentum now and get a good run going.  The league seems to be really open this year, so I think we'll finish mid table, hopefully with another cup final along the way as well.

 
Finally thanks again to Claire for answering these questions for me it is  very appreciated 

 Claire can be found on twitter here  Claire Wallhead -Twitter account




For my next interview which is with former Sheffield Wednesday academy graduate Jon Shaw , Some of your questions would be more than welcome 

No comments:

Post a Comment